Unable To Boot From USB Drive?

Clean install of W10 - Unable to start from USB drive?



Hi all, first post, so hoping I'm inside the right place :/ ...

I'm literally pulling what hair I have ignored with this, normally that is a routine part of me, but I'm well and truly stumped, so thought I'd ask a Windows 10 community ...

I have Windows 10 Education x64, I have had it for more than 6 months now, and I've had no real problems. I solely use my C drive to the OS, and when in a while I like to format it and re-install Windows and keep things smooth. Given that the C drive only is the OS, that is normally a pain and easy routine it doesn't take long by any means ...

This time though, i really enjoy seeing the PC locked up throughout the installation, it turned out stuck on 20% over 6 hours, so without option I had to seal the PC down and hope it could resume or start again .. it didn't, and I now experienced a PC that wouldn't boot up, and in the ISO for my W10 was on another HDD I couldn't go about doing much ...

I grabbed my USB pen and taking advantage of the MS Media Creation Tool on another PC, I was competent to create a bootable USB pen which has a W10 image. Back within my PC, I did the most common changing from the boot order, shoved the pen in and was competent to successfully install W10 again ... but considering the fact that I didn't un-check a tick box within the Media Creation Tool, I now had installed the 32bit version of W10 rather than the 64bit the one that I wanted ...

Ok, not an issue, so I'll just repeat what I've done again, but this time using a 64bit ISO, better yet because now my PC boots up, I can don't use anything but the ISO that came when I purchased it ...

And this is where the problems begun ...



I formatted the USB pen and used Rufus to lose the ISO into it, it successfully did, I changed the boot order again, nevertheless it didn't try and boot on the pen like before, it booted Windows on the C drive. After messing about in BIOS and doing it no option but to simply boot from your USB pen or nothing by any means, it find the latter, giving me the "DISK BOOT FAILURE" message. I rebooted again and used the pressing ESC solution to select the booting device, I chose 'Removable', but I was informed that there was "No bootable media present" ...

how to set up windows 10Since then I've tried 3 different ISO to USB programs including one by MS, I've tried an alternative USB pen and I've tried several different ISOs that I've either downloaded from MS or got when using the Media Creation Tool. On each occasion that I've burned the ISO, once you reset the PC, the LED about the pen flashes, therefore the computer recognises it and is also at least 'trying' too from it. Also to note, after burning the ISOs, both pens show the many files needed such as 'autorun' file with them ...

I've trawled the world wide web but am can not find any answers, so could anyone be kind enough to shed some light with this as I'm literally all the way of answers and options as how to proceed next, aside from stick using the 32bit version, which I don't wish to do

Knowing me, it's probably something stupid and straightforward that I've missed ...



You cannot use standard media creation tool as you're using Education

Do not occurs Education DVD - it's usually out of date.



Get latest version from here

Windows 10 Academic



I would delay until after Aug 2nd and install latest version.

Thanks with the reply Cereberus,



When I purchased W10 Education, I was given one of the links to the ISO (through the MS website) along with a valid step to register it, I never got a DVD. When I downloaded the ISO I was capable to create a bootable USB pen using Rufus and install the 64bit version without hassles. I was capable to do exactly the same yesterday (almost), I was in a position to create the bootable Education USB through the Media Creation Tool and do the installation, but that it was the 32bit version whereas I wanted the 64bit one. Also, just in case anyone thinks I'm going nuts, I have been running 64bit for decades now, so it will be not a 32/64 issue.

I also have already used the "Retail" Media Creation Tool (you will find there's difference) you linked with make a bootable USB using my W10 key, which wouldn't boot from DOS. I'm getting now simply so I can hold the ISO without needing to go through the hassle of getting every time I try something totally new, I can also compare it on the ISO I got when I first purchased this to determine if it's a newer version.

how to put in windows 10In short form ... Although the unintended version, I successfully installed W10 Education 32bit while using MS Media Creation Tool yesterday, however, if I seek to do exactly a similar again with all the 64bit version ISO, DOS is none from it and claims the USB pen to become "non bootable device", this really is despite every one of the files, structure plus the autorun file being present. I've done nothing different whatsoever when I originally was able to successfully install the 64bit version when I first purchased it, and when I installed the 32bit version yesterday.

It just feels in my opinion that something has evolved, since installing the 32bit version yesterday (which passed with no hitch) it somehow appears as if maybe my PC doesn't recognise its 64bit capable any further, now if the 32bit install of Windows does anything to BIOS or some different system cognizant of make my PC believe that, I have not a clue, but I greatly doubt this is the case, as well as possible ... but that is how it seems.

Stef



Your system specs indicated that you're using an X-58 EVGA board. This board is pretty old and simply supports MBR having Phoenix BIOS. There's 2 places you must set inside BIOS. Under Advanced BIOS Features: First Boot tool and Hard Disk Boot Priority, set them both to removable. In addition, when utilizing Rufus to produce a bootable USB, select format as FAT32instead of NTFS.
Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url